Sunday, September 20, 2009

Cigar Bands Continued!

OK! Crisis averted! Everyone's home now. A little wetter, but safe and sound! So fun to go jump a car in the rain! Back to the Cigar bands...
When I was struggling at first to find images to use on an ATC, all I could think of was the wrinkly, sun-dried ladies with the big, fat cigars. I found several great images of them, but did not really end up using those. I was trying to think of ways to make my own images and, of course, photos came to mind! I asked my daughter if she would do a "photo shoot" for me and just as we were getting ready to do it her friend happened to come over, so they both did it for me. I got some really great shots and we had fun stinking up the backyard with the cigar (outdoor lighting and trying to keep the stink out of the house!) My daughter is the Blond-Veronica, and her friend is Stella.
The first one here has an image of tobacco growing in the field, a Dominican Republic postage stamp (image), a photo of my daughter and her friend, the band, some more tobacco leaves and some cut out coins from another band just like the one included. I printed the photo very small in black and white on plain printer paper, and distressed it a little with some brown ink and it ended up looking like a newspaper clipping to me. I'll definitely keep that in mind for future works.
The last one, on the right, was done using a bit of the band from the cigar that I bought for the photos. This was a picture that I was thinking" wow it's too bad that came out blurry", but everyone who saw it really liked it. They said it really looked like they had been "caught" and the more I thought about it the more I liked that idea. I happened to have a crown stamp that is almost exactly the same as the crown on the label and then I added the rub-ons from SU! and the result, I think, looks like an ad for the cigar brand. "Smoke these! They're Funky, Fresh and Fun!"

No comments: